Tracing your family tree is one of the world's most popular pastimes. The Genealogical Society of Victoria is a leading Australian family history society and exists to assist members in tracing their ancestors and to promote the study of genealogy.
At our centrally located Research & Education Centre in Melbourne you can work with our experienced volunteer research assistants. With their guidance, you can efficiently organise and record the family information you already hold. Then you can investigate our many resources and background information to confirm the facts and fill in the gaps.
Enjoy socialising with people who have like-minded interest in the people and circumstances in the past.
- Access to research assistants - friendly volunteers trained to help with library resources.
- Access to our comprehensive library collection of family history records not available in commercial databases. It includes indexes, books, family histories, digital resources and unpublished material. Members may also bring a friend for one visit a year.
- Access to commercial databases within our library: Ancestry™, Findmypast™, TheGenealogist™, British Newspaper Archive™, MyHeritage™ (now access from home is available to members)) and Biographical Database of Australia™.
- Login from home and access to parts of Our Collection, including the library catalogue, the Genealogical Index of Names (GIN), cemeteries database and guided research.
- Our quarterly award-winning journal, Ancestor.
- Regular online blog 'Family History matters', Facebook and social media groups.
- Discounted or free events: orientation, training courses & classes, seminars, library research days and talks.
- Special Interest Groups and Discussion Circles
- Online Forum 'members HELP members' for sharing research queries and experience with other members.
- Members Queries - publication in Ancestor (one per year)
- Over 170 webcasts on subjects of interest to genealogists, viewable from home.
- Quick Lookups - free for members
- Discounts on extended research services and education events.
- Free annual research query (up to 2 hours) for distant members (more than 100 km from Melbourne).
- Free access to the Royal Historical Society of Victoria collection.
- Reciprocal rights with other major societies in Australian and New Zealand.
- Save $108 on a Findmypast™ annual world subscription.
New Membership Joining Fees
- Australian and Overseas: $20.00
- For one person: $105.00
- For two persons living at the same address: $150.00
- For three persons living at the same address: $210.00
- For 18-24 year olds - Next Gen Genie: $50.00
- For one person: $125.00
- For two persons living at the same address*: $180.00
- For one person: $1,575.00
- For two persons living at the same address*: $2,250.00
Ancestor [Magazine subscription only]
- Australia: $70.00
- Overseas: $90.00
Purchase subscription Online
Day Pass [Visitor]
- Fee To Use Library - $30.00 per visit per person.
This fee is rebateable against membership if you join within 14 days of your visit. Pay on arrival at GSV.
There are 2 ways of joining the GSV:
- You can apply online and pay online: Join Online
- You can download an application form and submit your application by post: Download GSV membership application 2020
As an alternative, you may wish to consider a subscription to the GSV quarterly magazine, Ancestor: Purchase Subscription to Ancestor