As a Member of the GSV you will be able to access a number of GSV member services. These are listed below.
You can access our new catalogue and databases from home: Catalogue and Databases
These revised databases include many additional records and you can enjoy our new look catalogue. There is an article with tips in the September 2020 edition of Ancestor: Ancestor September 2020
Members can access these commercial databases from home.
For instructions for access please email email@example.com. Allow time for these instructions to be received as emails are replied to between Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm. Once instructions have been received click on the appropriate link below.
My Heritage (Contact Office for Password)
findmypast (Please note we have a monthly & daily download limit so please try another day). You can still search and you can alway send in a Quick Look up to obtain the document you require)
TheGenealogist (Access for 20 minutes and remember to log out) Remember to get your GSV password.
Ancestry (now available via the State Library of Victoria (SL), just use your SL Library card to access. GSV tried to obtain access but the cost was too high.
For those less familiar with the content of the major databases there is a very good introduction at: https://www.rootstech.org/video/comparing-the-genealogy-giants
Introduction to GSV
- Introduction to the Genealogical Society of Victoria (GSV): Webcast (MP4)
- Introduction to the GSV: Handout (PDF)
- Starting family history, part 1: Webcast (MP4)
- Starting family history, part 2: Webcast (MP4)
- Starting family history: Handout (PDF)
- DNA (Enjoy 3 new webcasts by Alan Rhodes "Should I test?", "DNA ethnicity results" and "DNA and family history"): DNA Webcasts
- Researching Irish Ancestors: Researching Irish Ancestors Webcasts
- Maps - a source for family history: Maps Webcasts
- Shipping: Shipping Webcasts
- Ancestor is the Society's award-winning journal. It is published quarterly.
- Most articles appearing in Ancestor have been indexed in the GSV Catalogue. You can search by Author, Title, Subject, or Date.
- You can access Ancestor online for issues from 2012 onwards.
- You may wish to view Ancestor in the form of a Digital Flipbook: Ancestor as a Flipbook
- As an alternative, you may wish to view/download Ancestor as a PDF: Ancestor as a PDF
Free Research Services
- Getting Started Consultation for Members: Getting Started Consultation
- Distant Member Research Request (once per year): Members - Distant Member Research Request
- Quick Look-up Service: Members - Quick Look-up Service
Paid Research Services (Members Discount)
- Extended Research Service: $30.00 per hour instead of $50.00 per hour: Members - Extended Research Service
- Consultation Service: $30.00 for a 1-hour consultation instead of $50.00 for a 1-hour consultation: Members - Consultation Service
- Transcription of Old English Documents/Latin Translation: $30.00 per hour instead of $50.00 per hour: Members - Request for Quote for Transcription of Old English Documents/Latin Translation
- Document Retrieval - Victorian Probate Records: $50.00 per request instead of $75.00 per request: Members - Document Retrieval - Victorian Probate Records
- Document Retrieval - Inquest Records: $50.00 per request instead of $75.00 per request: Members - Document Retrieval - Inquest Records
- Document Retrieval - Melbourne Hospital Records: $50.00 per request instead of $75.00 per request: Members - Document Retrieval - Melbourne Hospital Records
- Document Retrieval - Other PROV Documents: $60.00 per request instead of $85.00 per request: Members - Document Retrieval - Other PROV Documents
Access to online discussion Forums including the Members Help Members Forum where you can submit your genealogy queries and other Members can contribute to the discussion: Members Help Members
You can view information about your membership of the GSV here: My GSV Membership
This page will enable you to:
- Manage your subscriptions to the GSV Blog and the GSV Forums.
- See a list of GSV Events you have booked for as well as what Events you have attended in the past.
- Check your GSV membership status.
Once you have checked your membership status, you may wish to renew your membership. You can do so here: Membership Renewal
You can see a list of the GSV Events you have booked for under the heading "Your Event(s)" on this page: My GSV Membership
If you need to cancel a booking to a GSV Event, please contact us by email: Cancel a Booking
If you need to update your contact details, you can do so here: Update Contact Details
If you need to change your email address, you can do so here: Change Email Address
If you need to change your password, you can do so here: Change Password
Members receive automatic email notifications when new items are published on the GSV Blog or when new items are posted to one of the GSV Forums.
New GSV Members are automatically registered as Subscribers to the GSV Blog but you can unsubscribe at any time.
However, you will need to Subscribe to each GSV Forum of interest in order to receive automatic email notifications.
You can check your existing subscriptions, add new subscriptions, or unsubscribe from particular subjects here: My Subscriptions
- Findmypast discount: Findmypast discount
- Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc (20% discount off the cost when attending one of their events): Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies
- Royal Historical Society of Victoria (20% discount off the cost when attending one of their events): Royal Historical Society of Victoria